Founded in 1940 as a clearinghouse for the joint opinion of its members and as a forum for the discussion of this country’s national music affairs, the National Music Council is the association of America’s trade and membership music associations. Operating under a charter from the U.S. Congress, the Council is the official U.S. representative to the International Music Council.
The Council is active in the following areas:
1. Information: Especially today, the various sectors of the music field need to be well informed concerning each other’s purposes, scope, and activities. To this end, the council sends out periodic mailings focusing on timely issues in the music community.
2. Discussion and Debate of National Music Issues: Especially during the annual Membership Leadership Symposium
3. Research on Issues of National Importance: From time to time, the NMC disseminates papers of national importance from one member association to others in the music field, and to other organizations and governmental agencies.
4. International Music Council: The NMC represents the many facets of American Music to the International Music Council.
5. Annual American Eagle Awards Luncheon: Each year, the Council sponsors this luncheon, at which its American Eagle Awards for distinguished service to American music are presented. The NMC provides a unique function. It is the only association in which the wide spectrum of American music associations are represented and where they come together to consider legislative recommendations and to debate and resolve issues.
NMC provides your group with:
• A crucial platform for communication and networking with music industry and association leadership throughout the United States;
• A forum for exchange of information and opinions on important financial and cultural issues;
• A chance to participate in legislative advocacy on issues of enormous importance to the music community;
• A voice in the global music community through the International Music Council – the world’s largest network of musical organizations and institutions;
• Access for your members to participate in International events and programs;
• Access to the Weekly World Music News electronic Newsletter and the NMC quarterly membership newsletter;
Your support of the NMC also goes to music education and intellectual property protection advocacy in the United States; U.S. input into the Fair Music Initiative of the IMC – developing fair trade principles for musical goods and services; and NMC/IMC collaborations to develop musical partnerships between countries and regions.
Please visit our musiccouncil.org website for recently posted news updates on our Student Video Scholarship contest, American Eagle Awards, Leadership in Music Symposium, and upcoming music education advocacy events.
For more information or any questions:
Please contact NMC Director Dr. David Sanders at email@example.com
Once approved for membership, click here and please complete the self‑assessment form below and remit the indicated amount.